Wednesday, December 4, 2019

Project 60: Solstice Tree Skirt


After ten years of not really celebrating Solstice after moving to my no-dining-room condo in Greenwood, in 2018 Doug and I restored the Winter Solstice Banquet, complete with full-sized Solstice tree.

This year, I decided to invest in one of the extremely fabulous tree stands that I had seen in BC. That, however, meant that I needed something to go around the base for maximum fabulousness. I remembered that I still had a considerable supply of crimson velvet. I bought it when I bought all the drapes for my place so that I could make additional matching accessories if I wanted. I have done; four sofa pillows, a lumbar pillow for my office chair, etc.

I dug through my stash and lo-and-behold there was enough left to make a tree skirt. Seattle has become a kind of fabric desert in recent months with the downfall of Pacific Fabrics, Nancy’s Sewing Basket, and the desperately inconvenient relocation of District Fabrics. All we have now is Jo-Ann Fabrics. Sigh. I knew I wanted something gold to go around the hem, so I screwed up my courage and resolved to wash all my clothes after spending time in the PERFUMED HVAC environment of the Jo-Ann store on Aurora. Ugh. Anyway, such is the strength of my commitment to Solstice.

I found some nice gold fringe, bought it, and zoomed back out into the fresh air.

I think it will look really nice under the tree.

No comments: