Having never made a woman's jacket before, I decided to make a muslin first out of cheap broadcloth. I was certainly glad I did! The shoulders, princess seams, sleeves, and pockets all needed major changes.
This is where my Garment Designer 2.5 software really comes in handy. Being able to keep all the basic measurements intact and just make adjustments is an incredible timesaver.
My favorite part is how the zipper worked out. The shell closes over it so neatly, and because the traveler is bright shiny silver, it adds an accent to the front that I really enjoy.
Working with the silk charmeuse lining was intimidating at first, but as the project went on I learned not to panic when it wiggled out of shape and just wiggle it back in.
I'm hoping that I can talk her into modeling it and getting some good pictures, since you can't really see how cute the shape is on a hanger. I suppose that's why women's clothing is so often displayed on shapely mannequins.