Saturday, March 21, 2020

Red Spread

 
This was a very lucky strike for me. So, here I am following the guidelines to remain at home during the coronavirus outbreak, which leaves me way too much time to get goofy ideas and give them a try.

I had a couple of tomatoes on the vine that were about to die of old age, and somehow in the last few months and especially in the last few days I have gotten the never-waste-food thing on steroids. I thought I might puree them, but then they would just sit in my fridge and go bad as tomato goo because I only use that in one recipe.

Then I had my brainwave. I added some stuff to the puree and cooked it down to a paste. I just used it as the “T” in my BLT and it is spectacular! Here’s how to do it:

Red Spread


2 medium ripe (very) vine-ripened tomatoes
1 red chili pepper
1 teaspoon garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice

Put tomatoes, chili pepper, garlic, salt, and olive oil into a food processor and puree. If you want it a little less spicy (he gasped, grasping his pearls) you can de-seed the pepper.

Put the puree into a small pan and cook over medium low heat until all visible liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat and allow to cool for five minutes or so. Add the lemon juice.

Spread it on something and praise my name!

Yes, that’s a White Claw with lunch. Pedestrian judgements have never concerned me.

No comments: