Tuesday, October 20, 2009

A Dozen Days

On Friday, October 9th I became very ill with the flu. I don't know which kind, and I don't much care. I had a high fever and violent coughing through Sunday morning and I managed to give it to Lingoman. Happy Birthday, Honey! (don't know how that could have happened) Anyway, the upshot is that I was so sick that I didn't smoke after dinner on Friday, nor on Saturday at all, and neither did I do so on Sunday.

At that point, I thought that maybe I should give quitting a try, since I was already part way through the process. For the last ten years I had been a half-pack-a-day smoker, which in the greater scheme of things isn't that bad. You have to smoke a whole pack a day for 20 years before they can measure a statistical increase to the likelihood of getting lung cancer. Even so, I did theoretically want to quit for all the usual reasons.

So there I was on Sunday, October 11th, having not smoked for a couple days. At that point I was still coughing from the flu. It's now been 12 days since I accidentally quit and I'm still coughing a lot. The Intertubes reassure me that it is because my lungs are repairing themselves and are very sensitive. It sucks anyway. I can't practice singing and I'm getting horrible cold sweats every afternoon. Apparently this is normal for quitters. I just hope I don't gain too much weight.

1 comment:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Good for you for quitting smoking! I hope you feel better soon. Two words: carrot sticks. They'll let you satisfy those munchies in a healthy way.